Who doesn’t love a good cheesy delight?
Famed singer-songwriter and husband extraordinaire to model and cookbook author Chrissy Teigen, John Legend is not shy of going to the kitchen himself. His twist on the classic quesadilla includes bacon, egg, avocado and, of course, cheese.
Teigen first shared the recipe on her Instagram, posting a story of Legend making the quesadillas for their family. After success on the social platform, Teigen brought Legend in to film his process for her cooking website, Cravings by Chrissy Teigen.
See also: Weekly Recipe: Chef Nyesha Arrington's French Onion Style Pot Roast
Legend starts by frying the bacon. It's nice to see that he's human, setting off the fire alarm as the bacon smokes out the entire kitchen. Putting out the alarm, he proceeds to make his avocado spread – which Teigen explicitly tells him is not guacamole.
Scramble some eggs, melt some cheese, and you've got yourself an EGOT-worthy crispy quesadilla with avocado spread! Legend specifically uses two tortillas to create a sandwich-like quesadilla, allowing each serving to be cut into more pieces – perfect for sharing. The final touch is plating, as "presentation is everything," Legend says.
Served with a dash of avocado spread and salsa on the side, here's how to make John Legend's Crispy Quesadillas with Avocado Spread.
- 1 slice of bacon
- ¼ tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- Cooking spray
- 3 whisked eggs
- Salted butter
- 2 large flour tortillas
- 3 slices American cheese
- In a skillet, fry the bacon over medium-high heat until nice and crispy. Set aside and thinly slice.
- As the bacon is frying, mash the avocado in a bowl and season with salt. Thinly slice the garlic and mix in. Season the avocado spread to taste and set aside.
- Coat a nonstick skillet, with cooking spray and the whisked eggs. Scramble over medium-low heat until they are soft but cooked through. Season with salt, and set aside.
- Clean the skillet and melt plenty of butter over medium heat, thoroughly covering the skillet.
- Add one tortilla and scrambled eggs onto the skillet. Sprinkle the chopped bacon and add the cheese in an even layer. Top with the other tortilla and press gently.
- Once the bottom of the tortilla is slightly browned, removed from the skillet, clean and re-butter the skillet.
- Place quesadilla back onto the skillet, brown side up.
- Cook until the second side is also lightly browned. Remove from heat.
- Slice quesadilla and serve with avocado spread and salsa. Enjoy!
Find more of John Legend's and Chrissy Teigen's recipes at Cravings by Chrissy Teigen.