Nothing says fall quite like the return of pumpkin spice. Seasonal lattes are finally back on the menu, and the aroma of autumnal candles fills your house once again.
We believe you can never have too much pumpkin spice in your life, and Innocent Yesterday of New York City's Upper East Side agrees. Along with an array of vegan delicacies, the plant-based bakery offers a mouth-watering, vegan Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake. Executive Pastry Chef Nancy Vaccariello calls it “the perfect crowd pleaser!"
“It’s super easy to make and can be enjoyed warm or at room temperature," Vaccariello says. "Anyone can enjoy making this with your basic cupboard ingredients. It can also be made Gluten-free with a simple swap of All-Purpose Flour for Gluten-free flour. It also pairs perfectly with a hot cup of coffee or tea on a crisp fall morning."
Whether you make yours vegan or not, this sweet treat makes for an excellent breakfast or dessert. The glaze is optional, but it sure does hit the spot.
Spice up your season with Innocent Yesterday's vegan-friendly, fall lover-approved Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake recipe below.
Innocent Yesterday's Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup neutral oil (avocado, vegetable or canola)
- 1 cup soy milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (melted)
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Dry ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, pumpkin pie spice and sugar until well combined.
- Wet ingredients: In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, oil, milk and vanilla until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry bowl and stir with a large spoon until just combined. Be careful not to over mix, or the cake will be dense.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Set aside while you make the streusel.
- Streusel: In a medium bowl, mix together the melted vegan butter, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice with a fork until well combined.
- Use your hands if needed; it will be crumbly.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping all over the cake batter, place in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean in the middle.
- If using optional glaze: Stir all ingredients together in a small bowl, and drizzle glaze over cooled coffee cake.
- Serve with a cup of coffee and enjoy.