Mmm, grilled cheese. Those two words alone are enough to make our mouths water, but when you’re craving a savory, crunchy snack, why go with the easy, waxy American cheese variety? No, you want to serve your guests the ultimate grilled cheese, and that’s why you want to cook up a buttery, flaky grilled cheese with brie and caramelized apple.
YouTube chef Joshua Weissman put all the best grilled cheese theories to the test, perfecting this grilled cheese recipe to the finest detail. While some prefer to spread their bread with mayo, Weissman says butter wins the back-to-back taste test (he also says mayo toast goes soft a little too fast).
When it comes to making the caramelized apple filling, two apples reduce during the simmering process into one serving, so if you’re looking to feed an army, get a bushel. Cook for about 20 to 30 minutes, but don’t let them get too mushy. It’s not supposed to be a jam.
Brioche bread is the best here, then pair your sliced brie with grated cheddar cheese for some extra bite. No one ever said “no” to extra cheese, right?
In five to eight minutes, you’ve got a plate of heaven.
“It’s the classic cheese and fruit combo,” Weissman says. “It’s savory-sweet...crispy on the outside, the apples still have some texture to them, they’re not cooked all the way through and they’re nice and sweet.”
Weissman actually tested a few grilled cheese recipes for this video, and some he says were even tastier than this. You’ll have to watch to find out, but we know this brie and caramelized apple sandwich will make your next backyard party an absolute smash.
Caramelized Apple & Brie Grilled Cheese
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- 3.5 tbsp (44 g) granulated sugar
- Cheddar cheese
- Brioche bread
- Start by peeling and cheek each apple, then cut into bite size pieces.
- In a small pot, toss the apples together with granulated sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Let sit for 20 minutes.
- Set over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Slice brioche bread into slices.
- Butter both slices of bread.
- Place a slice onto a cold pan topped with caramelized apples, grated cheddar cheese, and brie topped with the top slice but side facing up.
- Toast 5 to 8 minutes over medium heat. Flip and repeat.
Try Weissman’s other ultimate grilled cheese recipes via his website.