Flavorful fusion makes the culinary world go ‘round, and when it comes to East meets West elevation, no one is bringing the heat quite like Kyu.
The restaurant brand was founded in Miami in 2016, and it immediately drew a crowd with its sophisticated blend of Asian ingredients and North American plates. Kyu was a finalist for the James Beard award's Best New Restaurant in 2017, and Time even called it the "Best Restaurant in Florida."
Kyu has since opened sister locations in New York City and Mexico, and while all three eateries are worth a stop whenever you’re in the area, you don’t have to wait to bring some of this award-winning flavor into your life.
View this post on Instagram
Below, we share a slightly-simplified recipe for Kyu’s popular brisket sandwich with kimchi slaw, courtesy of executive chef Chris Arellanes.
The first step is to pick up a 1-pound, pre-cooked brisket from your local Whole Foods or Katz Deli (these two spots are chef Arellanes approved), as well as a bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce. From there, it’s time to mix your own kimchi slaw, prep a bit of jalapeno mayo, then put it all together!
Kyu’s Brisket Sandwich with Kimchi Slaw
- 1 lb brisket
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups favorite BBQ sauce
- Kale, cleaned of stems
- Vegetable oil (frying)
- 1 ea eggs
- Martin hamburger potato roll
- Unsalted butter
- ½ cup daikon, sticks thinly sliced
- ½ cup carrots, sticks thinly sliced
- 1 cup kimchi
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp pickled jalapenos
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- Place the sliced brisket (1lb) in a saucepan with chicken stock (whole foods) and your favorite barbeque sauce. Letting it simmer on low heat for approx. 1 to 2 hrs.
- Once the brisket has simmered in the liquid for 1 to 2 hours, slightly start to shred the meat.
- In a small pot of vegetable oil (you can use your air fryer as well) deep fry the cleaned kale until crunchy (note: it will pop, so remember to cover the oil quickly once you place the kale in). Remove the kale from the oil and season with salt.
- Place mayonnaise in a mixing bowl and whisk in chopped pickled jalapenos (whole foods), lemon juice and salt, until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- In a bowl, mix the carrot, daikon and purchased kimchi together (allow it to sit for at least 30 minutes).
- Cut the Martin potato bun in half, and toast it in butter until completely golden brown.
- In a non-stick pan, fry your egg in a little bit of butter until crispy and the yolk is still runny.
- Once the bread is toasted and golden brown, you can start to assemble your sandwich.
- Add jalapeno mayo on the top bun, then lay your perfectly cooked brisket meat on the bottom bun. Place your slaw on top of the brisket, then your fried egg and crunchy kale.
Visit Kyu in Miami, New York City, Mexico and online for more delicious recipes and inspiration.