No one galas quite like Fady Armanious. The Tootsies creative director is a fixture on Houston’s event scene. During peak season Armanious can be found donning a mask for the Black & White Ball or a Marchesa cape and gold crown that seem to have leapt from the runway, for The Grand Gala Ball—no trend too risky, no pattern too ornate. When it comes to dressing up, he says: “We men have to go big or go home.” We caught him just before he hopped on a plane for New York Fashion Week; soon after, he’ll head to fashion shows in Milan and Paris. Here, he lays out his must-haves for men for the fall 2020 gala season. Gents, take note.
1. “Invest in a simple, clean black tux, cummerbund, studs and cuffs, a bow tie, and black patent or velvet shoes.” Satin-lapel tuxedo suit, $1,445, by Z Zegna at Ermenegildo Zegna, in the Galleria
2. “Don’t be afraid of color. The Pantone colors this fall are bold: chili pepper, biking red, Crème de Pêche, vanilla, dove gray, pink, Sugar Almond (rust), dark chocolate, dark blue, dark green, dark orange and more.” Torn Rose jacket, $4,595, alexandermcqueen.com
3. “A white jacket is to be worn as supper club, cocktail or black-tie attire.” White mohair O’Connor cocktail jacket, $4,100, by Tom Ford, River Oaks District
4. “This season is all about gold, gold and more gold. Gold cuff links are the perfect accessory to give an outfit a bit more sparkle.” Vintage Lantugh 18K gold cuff links with diamonds, $3,350, Tenenbaum, 4310 Westheimer Road, Ste. 100
5. “Every man should have a black bow tie that he knows how to tie himself—not pre-tie. Learn how to tie it, and if you don’t, ask me when you see me.” Silk faille bow tie, $80, barneys.com
6. “A statement watch is a must-have for men during gala season, for function and fashion alike. You can tell about a man’s personality from what style of watch he has on.” Santos de Cartier watch, $9,100, by Cartier, River Oaks District
7. “Santal 33 is fresh, sexy and smoky. I always mix my fragrance with other scents, so I never smell the same.” Santal 33, 3.4 fl. oz. for $275, Le Labo, 1665 Westheimer Road, Ste. B1