Aquavit chef Emma Bengtsson's Swedish pancakes are the comfort food we need now. Here's how to make them at home for your virtual brunch or just breakfast for dinner.
Executive chef of Aquavit Emma Bengtsson has been busy cooking up a storm in her Harlem apartment. Fortunately for the internet, she has been sharing her favorite recipes and tips on social media for how to make homemade meals, such as one-pan steaks and biscuits. In honoring Bengtsson’s Swedish heritage, her pancakes and jam recipe makes mornings brighter.
Swedish Breakfast Pancakes with Homemade Strawberry Jam
Pancakes (Yields 4 large) Ingredients:
2 1⁄2 oz All Purpose flour
1 oz sugar
2 pinches of salt
4 oz milk
1. Crack the eggs in a bowl and whisk them together.
2. Add the all purpose flour, sugar and salt.
3. Fold it together using the whisk.
4. Add the milk and whisk until homogenized batter.
5. Place in the fridge overnight. The batter is best if it gets to sit overnight.
6. The next day, heat up a 9-inch pan on medium heat.
7. Add 1 tsp of butter and melt it.
8. Pour a thin layer only to cover the bottom of the pan. Think a bit thicker than a crepe.
9. Leave for about 40 seconds until flipping it over onto the other side. Bake for another 30 second.
10. Serve the pancakes straight away with the strawberry jam and some whipped cream.
Strawberry Jam Ingredients:
1 lb of frozen strawberries
4 oz raw sugar
5 g apple pectin
1. Place the frozen strawberries in a pot on low heat.
2. As soon as the strawberries have defrosted and are starting to shed some liquid, they are ready for the next step. Do not let them boil yet.
3. Mix the apple pectin with the sugar.
4. Add the sugar and the pectin mix to the strawberries and turn up the heat to medium.
5. Keep stirring the pot with a wooden spoon if you have. Do not use a whisk.
6. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
7. Remove from heat and pore into a sterilized glass jar.
8. Leave to cool down outside.
9. Place a piece of cling wrap touching the surface of the jam so that no skin forms.
10. Once cooled down, place a lid on the jar and place it in the fridge.